Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Damn you cellular phones.

As of September 1st, I will have a cell phone. Yes, yes. It seems like anyone and everyone has a cell phone nowadays, so I'm a little behind. Well, the only reason I'm getting it is for circumstances with my living away from home yadda, yadda. But anyway, so my search for a plan and a phone began about a week ago.

The plan went easy. I looked at Rogers, I looked at Fido and voila. "Fido to Fido anywhere in Canada" Thirty bucks a month, 150 weekday minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends (7pm-8am). Sounds perfect to me. Even with a Waterloo number, when I'm in Calgary I can phone Calgary numbers for free or using minutes. The downside is I will have to pay long distance if people phone me from Calgary... so therefore I just won't pick up/let them call me... it'll somehow work, maybe Caller ID.

Picking a phone however is a pain in the ass. First of all I'm very picky on the look of phones. Frankly lots of phones are fucking ugly. That cuts the pick into a small pile. Now also since Rogers bought Fido, there's the two networks. 850[Rogers] and 1900[Fido]. Apparently with both you get better reception even when you don't pay the extra five bucks a month to get access to the Rogers network. The next is the vibrating call alert option. That's gotta be handy. Then battery life and then all the other goodies like camera, screen, etc. all that other crap I don't really need.

Yesterday I thought I had nailed my choice. The Nokia 6020, but then today I realized it didn't have the vibrating call. Therefore listening to music and carrying a phone = not good, not to mention the innappropriate times for a phone to go off.

Now I think I've settled on The Sony Ericsson T237. It works on both networks, has the vibrating thingy, and costs nothing with a plan. No goodies though. Also no headset wheras the Sony Ericsson T610 comes with, although I hear they're cheap, and when would I use it I wonder. The T610 has a camera, a better screen, but only works on 1900.

I'd prefer a Nokia but I don't have much of a choice with the Fido phones and frankly I don't want to spend tons of money on a first phone. If I could get a Nokia 8910i that worked in Canada I would buy it, but there aren't. The Nokia 8801 [North American version] would be amazing but I'm not going to spend close to a grand on a phone. An older much more affordable version, the Nokia 8890 would be my most possible to get and not too expensive phone. Too bad it's not sold anymore... that I know of. Also it's not colour or anything like that but the style of it would be worth it.

Anyway, enough phone talk. I'll end up with a cheapo phone for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger *Monica said...

Phone hassles really stink. They have deals here alot where you can get a free one if you sign up for a certain plan. Did you try that?

Tue Aug 16, 09:07:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Evgenia said...

this site is nice for comparing some of the cell phone features.

http://www.cellphones.ca

Tue Aug 16, 03:12:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home